Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This makes a great dessert to make when apples are in season. I actually use this recipe in place of apple pie filling for my Easy 5-Minute Almost Cheesecake Dessert but it makes a great dessert topped with vanilla ice cream. The amounts listed will serve 3-4 people, but can easily be doubled if desired, adjust the brown sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 large tart apples (peeled cored and thinly sliced)
- 2 -3 teaspoons cornstarch (use 3 teaspoons for a thicker consistancy)
- 1⁄2 cup cold water or 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 6 -8 tablespoons brown sugar (or adjust to suit taste)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (optional)
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat; add in apples.
- Cook stirring constantly until apples are almost tender (about 6-7 minutes, do not cook until very soft!).
- Dissolve the cornstarch cold in water or apple juice until smooth; add to skillet, then add in brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, simmer stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and top with vanilla ice cream.
Outstanding! I doubled the recipe and used 6 tsp of cornstarch for a thicker consistency. These apples came out beautifully! I used them to top a cheesecake and drizzled the apples with a little caramel. Thanks so much for this recipe - I am in awe of you and you make me look so good!! :)
This so worked! My clients have been loading me up with apples...I needed and easy way to use them up. This worked well as an apple pie filling and something to toss in the fridge.
A very nice apple dish. I used to top Germn Pancake #29847. Instead of chopping the apples I sliced then. My family loves cooked apples and this will be added to my keepers. Thanks Kittencal. Bullwinkle.