Prep 12 mins
Cook 22 mins
These chestnuts are a great snack to have on the holidays. You can serve them as a snack, with Christmas dinner, or even grind them up and put them on a piece of meat, which adds an extra zing to the flavor.
- Cut a large X in each chestnut.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine olive oil, salt, and vinegar. Toss the chestnuts in this mixture.
- Cook the chestnuts in the skillet for 5 minutes. Add the water, cover the skillet and continue to cook for another 7 minutes over medium heat.
- Place a paper toel on a plate. Transfer the chestnuts to the plate.
- Pour the water from the skillet into a baking sheet with a height of at least an inch. Preheat an oven to 175 degrees F.
- Place a cookie cooling rack and place a sheet of aluminum foil on top of the rack. Place the chestnuts on the foil.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. When opening the door to the oven, steam will pour out;it's hot, so stand back!
- Immediately after taking nuts out of oven, transfer them back to the plate to cool.
- Take shells off of the nuts. Serve with salt, and serve hot.