Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was a favorite growing up. I cook mine in a cast iron skillet to give it a crunchy crust.
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup self rising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can corn niblets, drained
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Mix ingredients well, with just enough water to mix.
- Pour into oiled iron skillet. Bake until done, about 30 minutes.
This is an excellent Mexican Cornbread. Very easy to put together. I added about 1/3 cup of water to combine everything and I think that was okay. Used 3 tbls. Vegetable oil in my cast iron skillet and preheated it in the oven before adding the cornbread mixture. I would like to try this with buttermilk the next time and I will also use a whole jalapeno pepper, but other than that I'll make as is. Thanks for posting.