Prep 1 hr 20 mins
Cook 8 mins
My family loves seafood, hence what some might think is an overly generous serving amount. This seafood dish is also delicious as part of a surf-and-turf meal along with a steak, plus it makes mighty fine party food.
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine (I use 4)
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled (thawed, if frozen)
- 1 lb scallops (thawed, if frozen)
- Note: I typically do this recipe with just shrimp (I try to use big ones), but a combination of shrimp and scallops looks very attractive on the skewers.
- First, marinate seafood: in a mixing bowl, combine soy, lime juice, sugar, oil, ketchup, garlic and spices.
- Place shrimp and/or scallops in a glass dish or in a heavy resealable bag and cover with all the marinade.
- Cover/seal tightly and refrigerate for one hour.
- Remove seafood from marinade after one hour and thread onto skewers (if using wooden ones, you'll need to soak them in cold water for about 30 minutes before using to ensure they won't burn).
- Over a medium-hot grill, cook until seafood is done; this won't take long, only about 3 or 4 minutes per side.
- I have never broiled them, but I'm sure that would work well, too.
- Use reserved marinade to baste skewered seafood while it cooks.
This was quite good. I don't like cumin so I omitted it. I put the scallops on some lettuce and had it as a salad. I poured some of the marinade over the lettuce and it was really good. It was easy to make. I grilled it on my countertop grill. Thanks Lennie for a good recipe!!!
What an excellent meal we had this evening! I used 1 1/2 pounds of shrimp and eliminated the scallops as it was just the two of us. I made all the marinade and marinated for about an hour and a half (because he was late coming home). The flavor was excellent! Cooking on the grill and basting is just so easy with shrimp on skewers! I served with a tossed green salad, French rolls, parslied new potatoes and a glass of wine. Wonderful supper, Lennie! I will look forward to having this again!
FABULOUS! I made this recipe with shrimp several times last summer to rave reviews!