Prep 8 hrs
Cook 15 mins
This is SO good! Plan ahead the chicken needs to marinate about 8 hours. This chicken is delicious both hot or cold! If you are doubling this recipe, and I suggest you do, this chicken is very good, prepare two separate marinades in two bowls and use two separate bags for marinating (10 drumsticks in each bag).
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried chili pepper flakes (or use less)
- black pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 1⁄4 cup peanut oil
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- black pepper
- In a bowl whisk together the first 8 ingredients.
- Add in green onions.
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a large resealable bag.
- Pour the marinade on top and seal bag; turn to coat evenly with marinade.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Set grill to medium heat.
- Remove the chicken and discard the marinade.
- Place the chicken on a baking sheet, and pat any excess marinade off with a paper towel.
- Rub the drumsticks with peanut oil on all sides.
- Season chicken with seasoned salt or white salt and pepper.
- Gill turning chicken until crispy and golden brown, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
I marinated for 9 hours. I peeled the skin off of 3 of my drumsticks, just to see if they would stay moist....they did. The other drumsticks, I loosened the skin to allow the marinade to get to the meat. I cooked on a charcoal grill over indirect heat, and they turned out very good. But I can't help think that they might have been better if I'd cooked them in the oven, basting with the marinade like the previous reviewer. I'll try that next time. These drumsticks turned out very moist and were very good. Made for Zaar 123 Hits tag game.
The flavour of the marinade on the chicken drumsticks was awesome (unfortunately mine only got 5 hours). My 10 drumsticks were small and served 3 of us with JustJanS Low Fat Asian Style Coleslaw for Two. I made up the marinade and reserved 1/4 cup and when it came to cook the chicken I drained the drumsticks onto a rack and basted them with the reserve marinade to bake them in a 175C fan forced oven for 35 minutes (larger drumsticks could take 45 minutes) basting them every 10 to 15 minutes. I also think these drumsticks would be great served cold for a picnic or packed as part of lunch for work school with a salad. Thank you Kittencal for a great meal, made for Unrated Asian Recipe Tag Game.