Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very yummy and moist cake. Add icing of your choice.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1. Cream butter, sugar, and eggs until fluffy.
- 2.make a mixture of cocoa, food coloring, and applesauce.
- 3. add to creamed mixture.
- 4. Mix flour and salt and add to creamed mixture alternating with buttermilk.
- 5.add vanilla.
- 6. add soda to vinegar and gently fold into batter.
- 7. pour into 2- 9" greased cake pans.
- 8.Bake at 350 for 26-30 minutes.
Moist just like I wanted! I made mini-cupcakes and over baked the first two batches, but only put them in for about 8 minutes to get a gooey soft texture for the next two. Thanks for sharing!