Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is DH's favourite pudding and a British classic. Sweet and satisfying!
FOR THE PASTRY
- 6 ounces plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 ounces lard
- 1 1⁄2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons cold water
FOR THE FILLING
- 12 ounces golden syrup
- 7 ounces fresh brown breadcrumbs (may need a little more)
- 2 grated lemons, juice and zest of
- First make the pastry.
- Measure the flour into a bowl.
- Rub fats with fingertips until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- Add enough water to mix to a firm dough.
- Wrap in cling film and chill for aobut 30 minutes.
- Or make it in the processor, like I do now.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C.
- Roll out the pastry thinly and line a 6" diameter 2" deep loose bottomed flan tin.
- Heat the syrup in a large pan, stir in the breadcrumbs, lemon rind and juice.
- If the mixture looks runny add a few more breadcrumbs.
- Pour the syrup mixture intothe pastry case and level the surface.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 180c and bake for a further 25-30 minutes until pastry is golden and the filling is set.
- Leave to cool in the tin.