Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great snack from the cookbook Y'all Come and Eat by the Deen Brothers
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons honey
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup flour, all purpose
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- salt and pepper
- 48 bread and butter pickles, sliced (from a 16 ounce jar)
- FOR THE SAUCE.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, mustard, mayo, and honey until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use).
- FOR PICKLES.
- In a heavy pot, heat 2 inches of vegetable oil to 360 degrees.
- Put the flour in one bowl, the beaten eggs in a second bowl, and the cornmeal in a third bowl. Season the flour and cornmeal with salt and pepper.
- Dip the pickles first in the flour, shaking off excess; dip into beaten egg, then dredge in the cornmeal to coat. Lay on a baking sheet.
- When all the pickles are coaed, fry them in batches in the hot oil about 30 seconds or until brown.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer fried pickles to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve pickles hot with dipping sauce.