Good Eats Deep Fried Pickles (Alton Brown 2007)
Another Alton Brown Great!
- Ready In:
- peanut oil, for frying
- 1 quart dill pickle
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups plain cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more if desired
- Place enough peanut oil in a 4 to 5-quart cast iron Dutch oven to come halfway up the side of the pot. Place over medium-high heat and bring to 390 to 400 degrees F.
- Remove the pickles from their brine and cut lengthwise into quarters, like spears. Lay the spears on a sheet pan lined with paper towels and pat them dry.
- Place the buttermilk in 1 shallow dish and mix together the cornmeal and salt in a separate dish. Dip each pickle, 1 at a time, first into the buttermilk, then into the cornmeal and then repeat.
- Carefully place each spear into the hot oil and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes. You can fry 3 to 4 pickles in the pot at a time.
- Transfer the pickles to a cooling rack set in a half sheet pan and allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating. Season with additional salt, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I made these with my homemade fermented Kosher dolls, crispy and light fried pickles with a dipping sauce made with a 50/50 mix of home made mayonnaise and sour cream based horseradish ranch dip. The perfect side dish to low and slow smoked St Louis cut ribs and home made Kansas City style BBQ sauce. A good local micro brew and you have the perfect summer feast.Reply
I thought these were wonderful! I too loved the crispy crust and preferred it over the pickles. I would cut the salt down to 2 teaspoons. I used homemade pickles that I made and then used the Dill pickles out of the jar. They were both wonderful! I will definitely be making this again and again!Reply
I would give this a 4.5. Never had deep fried pickles before, so had to try these. Since it was just my son and I eating them I cut it down quite a bit. The outside was crispy and then the dill. We didn't dip in anything just ate them up! I love the crispy coating. I just peeled it off and ate it, then I ate the naked pickle. My son just devoured it all! Thanks, 2Bleu!Reply
see 3 more