Recipe by Stacey Sweet
I have been playing around with this recipe since I was a teen. I love to make these for friends and they say they are better than the restaurant version. Stacey
Top Review by Cypress
I made this tonight as an appetizer to the dinner I made for my fiance and I. I made a few changes, since I didn't want them to be too Italian flavored. I wanted them more along the lines of the way they taste from Denny's since those are my favorite. I used 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, & an egg + milk mixture. I kept the garlic, oregano, parsley amounts the same. I upped the salt and pepper to 1/4 tsp each. I went in the order of milk, flour, milk, plain bread crumbs. I also froze the string cheese (I made 5 pieces, cut in half) before battering. They came out really, really good this way! They tasted almost exactly like the one's from Denny's and luckily we had some left over restaurant ranch from when we'd ordered wings the other night. Now I don't have to go to Denny's just for their cheese sticks :P
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley, crushed
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the eggs and water, set aside.
- combine the Italian bread crumbs, garlic powder, dried oregano and dried parsley.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- in a separate container, mix flour and cornstarch.
- cut mozzarella cheese into any desired shape, rectangle strips are traditional.
- One at a time, dip mozarella slices into the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs, then the flour.
- fry sticks at 375 F until golden brown and serve with desired dipping sauce.