Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A vegetarian deep-dish pizza
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- chicago-style deep-dish pizza dough (Chicago Style Deep-Dish Pizza Dough)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch dice (8 oz.)
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2-inc dice (10-12 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 3 1⁄2 cups pizza sauce (Tomato Sauce for Chicago Style Pizza)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Position oven rack on the 2nd-lowest level in the oven and place a baking stone on the rack; preheat oven to 500°.
- Brush a 14-inch round deep-dish pizza pan with ½ tablespoon olive oil.
- Starting in the middle and using your fingertips, press the dough evenly to cover the bottom and about 2 inches up the sides of the pan.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel and let dough rise in the pan for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over med-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil; swirl pan to coat.
- Add in garlic and onion; stir/saute 3 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- Add in the zucchini and eggplant; continue to saute/stir until the vegetables are crisp-tender and beginning to brown at the edges, about 8 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper; remove pan from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Assemble pizza: lightly press the dough up the sides of the pan if it has slid back down.
- Lay half of the mozzarella slices over the pizza dough, overlapping them to cover the dough completely.
- Scatter the cooked vegetables over the top.
- Place the rest of the mozzarella over the top.
- Ladle the tomato sauce evenly over the mozzarella; sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Place pizza in the oven on the baking stone and decrease heat to 450°.
- Bake about 30 minutes, until the crust is crisp and a deep golden brown and the cheese is golden.
- Remove pizza from oven and place on a wire rack to cool 5-7 minutes.
- Use a knife to loosen the crust from the sides of the pan; cut pizza into large wedges and then slide a metal spatula under the bottom of the crust to remove and lift out wedges; serve immediately.