6 hrs 30 mins
From Better Homes and Gardens. Of course you can double for larger families, or multiple days of bread. I will be making a cookbook of recipes that use this dough. For whole wheat version, substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the stirred in all-purpose flour. For cheese version, stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese with the stirred-in flour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon sage (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup margarine or 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 6 ounces bulk pork sausage or 6 ounces ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped green peppers or 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- 1In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and, if desired, herb.
- 2In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, margarine, sugar, and salt just till warm (120 to 130 F) and margarine almost melts.
- 3Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour. Divide dough into halves or quarters.
- 4To chill, cover portions and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- 5Or, to freeze, wrap the portions in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, let dough stand at room temperature about 2 1/2 hours or till thawed. (Or, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.).
- 6To make pizza, use 1/2 of the above recipe.
- 7With lightly greased fingers, pat dough into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 11x7x1 1/2 or 9X9X2 inch baking pan.
- 8Cover and let rise in a warm place til nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in a 375 oven about 10 minutes or till light brown. (If necessary, lightly press down center or crust.).
- 9Spread pizza sauce over hot crust. Sprinkle with meat and veggies, add cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or till crust is golden brown. Serves 2.
Browse Our Top Oven Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Deep-Dish Pizza from OAMC Easy Mix Yeast Bread Dough for 2
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.6
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 125.6 mg
- Sodium 961.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 35.3 g