Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
From Better Homes and Gardens. Of course you can double for larger families, or multiple days of bread. I will be making a cookbook of recipes that use this dough. For whole wheat version, substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the stirred in all-purpose flour. For cheese version, stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese with the stirred-in flour.
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon sage (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 6 ounces bulk pork sausage or 6 ounces ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green peppers or 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and, if desired, herb.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, margarine, sugar, and salt just till warm (120 to 130 F) and margarine almost melts.
- Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour. Divide dough into halves or quarters.
- To chill, cover portions and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Or, to freeze, wrap the portions in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, let dough stand at room temperature about 2 1/2 hours or till thawed. (Or, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.).
- To make pizza, use 1/2 of the above recipe.
- With lightly greased fingers, pat dough into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 11x7x1 1/2 or 9X9X2 inch baking pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place til nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in a 375 oven about 10 minutes or till light brown. (If necessary, lightly press down center or crust.).
- Spread pizza sauce over hot crust. Sprinkle with meat and veggies, add cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or till crust is golden brown. Serves 2.
This was pretty good, but I baked it for only about 5 minutes at 350 and it was still pretty tough. I didn't make deep dish pizza, but chose the recipe as I wanted to make cinnamon rolls also, so our dough made 2 thin-crust pizzas. Can't wait to try the rolls tomorrow!