Recipe by Smirk
From Better Homes and Gardens. Of course you can double for larger families, or multiple days of bread. I will be making a cookbook of recipes that use this dough. For whole wheat version, substitute 1 cup whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the stirred in all-purpose flour. For cheese version, stir in 1 cup shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese with the stirred-in flour.
Top Review by JESMom
This was pretty good, but I baked it for only about 5 minutes at 350 and it was still pretty tough. I didn't make deep dish pizza, but chose the recipe as I wanted to make cinnamon rolls also, so our dough made 2 thin-crust pizzas. Can't wait to try the rolls tomorrow!
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1⁄4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried dill (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon sage (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon basil (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 6 ounces bulk pork sausage or 6 ounces ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green peppers or 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (4 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the yeast, and, if desired, herb.
- In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, margarine, sugar, and salt just till warm (120 to 130 F) and margarine almost melts.
- Add to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour. Divide dough into halves or quarters.
- To chill, cover portions and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Or, to freeze, wrap the portions in plastic wrap and place in freezer bags. Seal, label, and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, let dough stand at room temperature about 2 1/2 hours or till thawed. (Or, thaw overnight in the refrigerator.).
- To make pizza, use 1/2 of the above recipe.
- With lightly greased fingers, pat dough into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 11x7x1 1/2 or 9X9X2 inch baking pan.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place til nearly double (about 30 minutes). Bake in a 375 oven about 10 minutes or till light brown. (If necessary, lightly press down center or crust.).
- Spread pizza sauce over hot crust. Sprinkle with meat and veggies, add cheese. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or till crust is golden brown. Serves 2.