Recipe by Queen Puff
This has been a favorite in our family for many, many years. Red delicious apples are our preference. Inspired by Better Homes & Gardens.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 4 -5 cups apples, thinly peeled and sliced
- 2 pie crusts, deep-dish, according to package directions
Directions See How It's Made
- In a mixing bowl combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Add apples, toss to coat fruit.
- Transfer apples to a frozen deep-dish pie crust.
- Place second pie pastry atop apples.
- Seal edges together by crimping with a fork.
- Cover edges of pie with foil.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in a 375º oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes more or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly.
- Serve warm or cool.
- For a prettier top, may brush the unbaked top with milk, water or melted margarine or butter and then sprinkle lightly with sugar.
- I like to use heart cookie cutters to make a design with four hearts to allow steam to vent and then brush top melted butter and dust with cinnamon.
- May store at room temperature up to one day, refrigerate for longer storage.