Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick and simple Indonesian dish from Copeland Marks.
- 2 lbs medium shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 -4 medium red chilies (sliced)
- 1 medium shallot (sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste (dissolved in water)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 inch gingerroot (sliced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 small tomatoes (chopped)
- steamed rice (to serve)
- Saute shrimp in 1 tablespoon oil over moderate heat for 2 minutes, then set aside.
- In small food processor, blend shallot, garlic, chiles, sugar, tamarind liquid, ginger, salt and tomato to form a paste.
- Heat remaining oil in pan, then stir-fry paste over moderate heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cook 2 minutes more.
- Serve with rice. if desired.