Prep 2 hrs
Cook 12 mins
Southern Living; from Chef David Bull, Second Bar + Kitchen, Austin, TX
- 4 (4 ounce) rib eye steaks
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 slices thick smoked bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped smoked ham
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3⁄4 cup brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons cracked pepper
- Place steaks between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4-inch thickness, using flat side of a meat mallet.
- Lightly pound steak, using textured side of meat mallet.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap, and chill 1hour.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a bowl.
- Wish together eggs and next 2 ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle both sides of steaks with salt and black pepper.
- Dip steaks in egg mixture, and dredge in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- Repeat procedure two more times.
- Fry steaks, 1 at a time, in hot oil in a nonstick skillet over med-high heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan.
- Serve with Redeye Gravy--melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add bacon and cook, stirring occasionally 5-7 minutes or until done.
- Add ham and next 3 ingredients; saute 3-4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Decrease heat to med-low; add flour.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Slowly whisk in milk and next 2 ingredients; bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Decrease heat to low.
- Simmer, stirring often, 14-18 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in chives and pepper.