Recipe by shelbyrose
This delicious dessert has been enjoyed by my family for years. The recipe is from one of the oldest cookbooks I own; the Pillsbury Family Cookbook.
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour the bottom of an 8-inch square pan.
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, orange zest, dates and nuts.
- In a small mixing bown, beat the egg with the vanilla extract until foamy.
- Gradually add white and brown sugar.
- Beat until thick and lemon-colored.
- Stir into date/nut mixture.
- Spoon batter into pan.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Cool; cut into servings and top with ice cream or whipped topping.