Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe from the Manitoba Co-operator 1950's I don't add sugar to the date filling. Prep time does not include chilling dough.
- 1 cup shortening (or 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb dates
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Cream shortening and gradually add sugar, mixing until very light in color. Add milk and oats.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture.
- Chill thoroughly.
- Roll out to 1/8 thickness on a lightly floured board and cut with cookie cutter.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 minute.
- When cool put pairs of cookies together with filling.