Top Review by insubfusc
Amazingly yummy results! I made this in the microwave in a large clear Pyrex bowl (using techniques similar to those for microwave toffee and peanut brittle). The texture is a little like maple fudge, with a wonderfully fine grain (not gummy). Cut with a very sharp knife and smooth pressure. Carol is right to recommend powdered sugar to dress it up. Might also make sense to press this into a pan, sprinkle ground pecans on top, and cut it into squares. I will make this again as soon as I have an excuse--even a flimsy one! -Amy
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup dates, seeded, but whole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup nuts, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Put milk and sugar in pan and as soon as it boils, add dates and butter.
- Boil until it forms a good soft ball in cold water (watch carefully but don't stir more than absolutely necessary).
- Remove from fire; add nuts and stir. Beat until very stiff.
- Dip out on a cloth wrung from cold water; knead and mold into a long roll.
- Let stay in damp cloth until hard and cold.
- Slice and serve.