Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe my mother made in the 1950's. I have tried many other date bar recipes but none compare to this one.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup oleo
- 8 ounces pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine the flour, soda, salt, oats, oleo, and sugar into a crumb-like mixture; spread 1/2 of mixture in a greased 13x9 pan.
- Combine the filling ingredients together, except the vanilla.
- Cook this mixture until thick.
- Cool. Now add the vanilla.
- Spread on crumb crust, put the other 1/2 of the oat mixture on top of the date mixture.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes.
Yup this date bar re ipe is the best
Simply the best!! I put the filling ingredients in the blender and pureed them (I used whole pitted dates) then cooked it in the microwave. I did add 10 minutes to the baking time but they are by far the best date bars I have ever made.
Never did get around to making these over the winter holidays, but they're definitely on my list in another 11 months! In the meantime, however, we're enjoying my first-time effort immensely ~ These are certainly some of the best tasting date bars I've ever had! Made them with my ol' favorite, Medjool dates, & they were particularly moist & chewy! And, as soon as I get another container of those dates, I'll be making these great tasties again! Definitely a keeper of a recipe! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Cookbook tag]