Recipe by Soobeeoz
I made these today, and we're enjoying them very much. Not having any wholemeal SR flour, I used white cake flour. Recipe is from Australian Good Taste magazine, November 1998.
Top Review by Suzy mom to 2
This is a lovely recipe. The muffins are not overly sweet and reheat great in the microwave. I love it that it has no extra sugar added :) !!! I made this gluten free by using Annalise Roberts' cake flour mix plus 1/2 tsp xanthan gum. Subbed dried apples and dried cranberries for the dates because I didn't have dates, but will make this again with dates. Will update my review when I did.
- melted butter, for greasing
- 100 g butter, cubed
- 200 g pitted dried dates, finely chopped
- 125 ml pure maple syrup
- 125 ml water
- 250 ml milk
- 400 g wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 60 ml pure maple syrup, extra
- extra butter, at room temperature to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200°C Brush 12 medium, 80mls (1/3 cup) muffin pans with the melted butter to grease.
- Place the butter, dates, maple syrup and water in a small saucepan. Cover and heat over medium heat for 6 minutes, stirring Occasionally, or until the butter has melted. (See microwave tip at end of directions.)
- Remove from the heat and stir in the milk.
- Sift together flour and mixed spice in large bowl and return husks to bowl.
- Add date mixture and eggs and stir with a large metal spoon until just combined. Don't overmix - the mixture should be lumpy.
- Spoon mixture evenly into the greased muffin pans and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until browned and cooked through when tested with a skewer.
- Turn muffins onto a wire rack and brush the tops with some of the extra maple syrup. Serve with the extra butter and drizzled with the remaining extra maple syrup.
- Notes & tips.
- Note: These muffins are great eaten hot from the oven, but are just as delicious at room temperature. They will keep well in an airtight container for up to 2 days. To reheat, place on baking tray, cover with foil and place in oven preheated to 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Microwave tip: place butter, dates, maple syrup and water in a medium heat-resistant, microwave-safe bowl or jug. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes on Medium-High/650watts/70% or until the butter has melted.