Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Moist, tasty and delicious
Make and share this Date and Carrot Cake recipe from Food.com.
for the cake
- 1 cup trident dates, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 cups coarsely grated carrots
- 1 cup coarsely grated zucchini
For the Icing (Frosting)
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- TO MAKE THE CAKE.
- Grease deep 22cm round cake pan, line the base with baking paper.
- Combine dates and orange juice in a saucepan; bring to boil then immediately remove from heat.
- Stir in bicarb soda; stand for 5 minutes.
- Process date mixture with sugar until almost smooth.
- Add eggs, flour and spice, and process until just combined.
- Transfer mixture into a large bowl, stir in carrot and zucchini.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake in moderate oven for about 1 hour.
- Stand for 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Top cake with frosting.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING:.
- Process all ingredients until just smooth. Serve and enjoy.