1 hr 10 mins
The original recipe came from an old Canadian Living Christmas Book. I've made a few variations of these for Christmas gatherings and they're very popular. I've always used Bernard Callebaut's dark baking chocolate but I'm not sure if it's available anymore. Semi-sweet bakers chocolate can be substituted in place of the dark. Preparation time is approximate as I've not made this version and does not include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2In a small saucepan, heat cream just until bubbles form around edge of pan, remove from heat.
- 3Stir in 250 g of chocolate pieces until smooth, stir in liquid honey and nougat pieces.
- 4Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until thickened and cold.
- 5Using a whisk (NOT electric mixer), beat chocolate mixture just until creamy and lighter in colour. Do not overbeat or mixture will separate.
- 6Using a pastry bag fitted with 1 cm plain tip, pipe filling into 2.5 cm diameter rounds on two wax paper-lined baking sheets.
- 7Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- 8Sift icing sugar into a pie plate.
- 9Working with rounds from one baking sheet at a time, lightly roll in icing sugar.
- 10Gently roll each round between fingertips to round off tips. Return to wax paper-lined sheet and freeze for 1 hour or until hard and almost frozen.
- 12In top of double boiler over hot (not boiling) water, melt 375 g of chocolate.
- 13Remove from heat, let cool slightly.
- 14Place crushed, toasted almonds into a pie plate.
- 15Using two forks, dip balls from one baking sheet at a time into chocolate, letting excess drip off. (If chocolate thickens while you work, rewarm gently over hot stove.
- 16Place balls in crushed almonds.
- 17Using two clean forks, roll truffles in almonds and refrigerate on wax paper-lined baking sheet until hardened. (Optionally can roll in sifted cocoa instead).
- 18Place truffles in candy cups and store in airtight container in refrigerator until just before serving.
- 19Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or frozen up to 3 months.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Chocolate Toblerone Truffles
Serving Size: 1 (23 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 108.2
- Calories from Fat 88
- Total Fat 9.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 6.5 mg
- Sodium 4.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
soft almond nougat