1/1 Photo of Dark Chocolate Tart With Bacon and Whipped Almond Pastry Cream
6 hrs 25 mins
Dark chocolate and cabernet? Yes..just trust me. And this is a seriously sexy dessert - try it on your next date night!
My Private Note
pie sli ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons dark chocolate cocoa powder (try Hersheys Extra Dark)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup thick cut bacon, diced
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond paste
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1For Crust: Whisk butter and sugar in a stand mixer until light and creamy. Add cinnamon, salt and cocoa powder. Slowly add flour, 2 tablespoons at a time until loose, sticky batter forms.
- 2Wrap batter in plastic, form into a disk and let cool in refrigerator for at least 1 hour until firm. Place cooled batter between two sheets of parchment paper and roll out until ¼ inch thick. Carefully transfer crust to a pie pan with a removable bottom. Press crust firmly into pan. Using a form, poke all around bottom of crust to prevent rising when baking. Place into refrigerator for 15 more minutes.
- 3Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on baking rack.
- 4Filling: In a small saucepan, warm heavy cream over medium heat until simmering. Remove from heat and add to a large mixing bowl with chocolate chips. Whisk until chocolate is completely melted. Mix in cayenne and reserved bacon.
- 5Pour into cooled crust. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours until chocolate is firm.
- 6Almond Cream: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, sugar, almond paste and salt. Bring to a simmer and whisk until well combined.
- 7Whisk egg yolks and cornstarch in a large mixing bowl until it starts to thicken. Slowly pour about ¼ of milk mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly to temper. Slowly pour egg mixture back into the saucepan with the rest of the milk and return to low heat. Keep whisking until mixture becomes a pudding-like consistency.
- 8Cover with plastic and place into refrigerator to cool for at least 4 hours, or overnight. When ready to serve, whip cream in a stand mixer with whisk attachment for 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Dark Chocolate Tart With Bacon and Whipped Almond Pastry Cream
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 540.5
- Calories from Fat 398
- Total Fat 44.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.0 g
- Cholesterol 171.1 mg
- Sodium 157.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 16.3 g
- Protein 9.8 g