Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A good friend gave me this recipe when I was whining I didn't have a good spaghetti sauce recipe. She said it was her mother-in-law's.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- salt & pepper
- Cook onion in oil until golden.
- Add tomatoes, paste, water, sugar, salt, pepper and bay leaf.
- Cook slowly uncovered for 1 hour.
- For meatballs, combine meat, crumbs, cheese, eggs and seasonings. Mix thoroughly.
- Form into small balls and brown in oil or microwave.*.
- Add meatballs to sauce and simmer over low heat until sauce is desired thickness, 30 mins or so.
- * To brown in microwave - place approximately one dozen of meatballs into a pie plate and microwave on high for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
I thought this sauce was just OK. It was easy to make but it didn't have enough spices in it; it just tasted like tomatoes. The meatballs were pretty good, though.