Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Pancakes with a consistency almost like a crepe but with lots of flavour!
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 2 medium granny smith apples, coarse grated (or any kind)
- Mix dry ingredients together, set aside.
- Whisk together the egg yolks, milk, butter and vanilla.
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir to blend.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold stiff egg whites into mixture.
- Carefully fold in coarsely grated apples.
- Make sure batter is fairly liquid, not thick so it spreads out on the griddle.
- Heat griddle to 350°F (or medium high heat on stove).
- Griddle/pan is ready when water droplets jump around and evaporate.
- Cook on griddle until bubbles appear and edges are dry. Flip only once.
When I made these I did some thicker and some thinner. The thinner ones were definately better, since the batter tends to be more moist due to the apples. They have a wonderful flavor!