Prep 3 mins
Cook 20 mins
An adaptation from curryfrenzy.com that works - this is the base sauce for many of the curries I will be posting over the next few weeks. This sauce will freeze so multiply it up and freeze down for quick curries.
- 1 onion, coarsely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup passata
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon green cardamom seeds
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- Fry the onions in the oil on a medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent (5mins).
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- add Tomatoes and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add half the water and simmer for 5 minutes then add the rest of the water and spices. Stir in well and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Keep stirring regularly throughout cooking. Take the pan off the heat and leave to cool slightly before pureeing in a food processor.
I made this to use in recipe 167479 (Recipe Standard Saag Aloo) and it was great. I now have a batch in the freezer so I'd love to know what else I can use it for - please post some more recipes using this!