2 hrs 30 mins
Barefoot Beachcomber's Note:
Didn't your mouth just water when you read that title? Mine did! This recipe comes from Harrowsmith magazine and I love it. Since most soups improve the longer they are simmered, anytime longer than what is stated would no doubt improve the soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup dark raisin
- 1 1/2 cups lager beer
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs turkey legs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 tart apples, unpeeled, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh gingerroot, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or 4 cups turkey stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 small cinnamon stick (1 inch)
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and finely diced
- salt and pepper
- 1In a small bowl, soak the raisins in the beer and set aside.
- 2Heat the oil in a saute pan over medium high heat. Add the turkey legs and saute until they start to brown and are beginning to cook through. Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- 3Add the butter to the pan, and when bubbly, add the onion and saute until translucent. Be sure to scrape up any of the brown bits on the bottom of th pan and stir them inches.
- 4Add the diced apples and saute until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5Sprinkle the curry powder over top and reduce the heat to medium low.
- 6cover the pan and continue to cook for 8 minutes.
- 7Stir in the ginger and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- 8Drain the raisins, reserving the beer and the raisins.
- 9Sprinkle the flour over the apple mixture and cook over low heat 1 minute.
- 10Slowly add the reserved beer to the pan, stirring to smooth any lumps. Cook for 5 minutes until hot and smooth.
- 11Add the raisins and transfer the mixture to a food processor and whirl until smooth.
- 12Place the chicken stock, apple cider, cinnamon stick and soy sauce in a large stock pot over medium high heat. Add the reserved turkey legs. Bring to a boil; then, turn down the heat and simmer partially covered, until the meat is cooked through, approximately 20 minutes. Retrieve the legs and, when cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and dice into small pieces and set aside.
- 13Add the diced sweet potato to the stock pot and cook until the potatoes are tender, approximately 30 minutes.
- 14Remove the cinnamon stick from the stock and stir in the apple puree. Season with salt and pepper. Add a little more apple cider to sweeten if you like.
- 15Add the diced turkey and simmer over low heat to make the flavours blend.
- 16Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Turkey, Apple and Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (540 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 485.6
- Calories from Fat 187
- Total Fat 20.8 g
- Saturated Fat 6.7 g
- Cholesterol 122.4 mg
- Sodium 462.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 15.3 g
- Protein 35.7 g