From Sunset Magazine. I bet this could be frozen (without the rice) for vegetarian OAMC.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb butternut squash
- 2 cups minced onions
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup butter or 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups de-fatted chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 11. Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. Cut squash into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes (you should have 2 1/2 cups).
- 2In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat, frequently stir onions, ginger, and garlic in butter until onions are very limp, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3Add rice and stir often until opaque, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and stir for 30 seconds longer.
- 4Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, squash, and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice and squash are tender to bite, 16 to 18 minutes.
- 5Stir in cilantro and salt to taste. Spoon into a bowl.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Squash and Basmati Rice
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.5
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 390.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 4.2 g