Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Sunset Magazine. I bet this could be frozen (without the rice) for vegetarian OAMC.
Make and share this Curried Squash and Basmati Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb butternut squash
- 2 cups minced onions
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups de-fatted chicken broth or 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Peel squash and cut in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. Cut squash into 1/2- to 3/4-inch cubes (you should have 2 1/2 cups).
- In a 5- to 6-quart pan over medium heat, frequently stir onions, ginger, and garlic in butter until onions are very limp, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add rice and stir often until opaque, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder and stir for 30 seconds longer.
- Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt, squash, and broth. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice and squash are tender to bite, 16 to 18 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and salt to taste. Spoon into a bowl.
This was easy to make and delicious! I used 1 1/2 Tablespoons Garam Masala instead of Curry powder. Yum!