Recipe by Laura Zimmerman
I saw this recipe when I watched Alton Brown on Food Network. I changed the recipe a bit to make it vegan (original included chicken broth and butter).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 12 ounces split peas
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion and a generous pinch of salt and sweat for 2 to 3 minutes. Next, add the garlic and continue to sweat for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, making certain not to allow onions or garlic to brown.
- Add the peas, vegetable broth and curry powder. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook at a simmer until the peas are tender and not holding their shape any longer, approximately 45 to 50 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Using care and a stick blender, puree the soup until the desired consistency. Watch out for hot splatters.
- Recipe courtesy Alton Brown, 2005.