1/2 Photos of Curried Peanut Soup
1 hr 20 mins
I tried this recipe once at a potluck and fell in love with it. It had been made by a friend who had lived in Kenya for a couple of years. Searched for the recipe for nearly 15 years when I finally stumbled upon it on the internet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped raw peanuts
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups stock or 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1/4 cup raisins (I like it) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature buttermilk
- 1Saute first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan.
- 2Add remaining ingredients and saute, stirring, 8-10 minutes over medium-low heat.
- 3Mix the Soup Base ingredients together to make a paste.
- 4Add to other ingredients.
- 5Mix, cover and simmer over very low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 6Whisk buttermilk into hot soup before serving.
- 7For Topping: Slice bananas ¼ of an inch thick and fry in butter.
- 8Add remaining ingredients and fry another minute.
- 9Spoon into soup bowls.
- 10This is best served in very small servings as it is very rich.
- 11You may get even more servings.
- 12But I love having this by myself the next day, and can never make enough.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Peanut Soup
Serving Size: 1 (205 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.1
- Calories from Fat 434
- Total Fat 48.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 34.2 mg
- Sodium 834.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 22.4 g
- Protein 22.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: