Kiki Freebird's Note:
This is my version of the Thai soup Tom Kha Gai. I didn't use the kaffir lime leaves, galangal root or lemongrass that you'll typically find in the regular recipe b/c those ingredients can be hard to find. I wanted a version I could easily make with what I had on-hand & came up with this! So don't expect this soup to be exactly like real Thai coconut chicken soup... the flavor is slightly different, but I think still delicious in it's own right! Let me know what you think :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks
- 14.79 ml curry paste (I had green curry paste on hand when I made this, but you could use any)
- 14.79 ml lime juice
- 14.79 ml ginger, grated (fresh is best, can also use dried)
- 14.79 ml fish sauce
- 382.71 g can light coconut milk
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 226.79 g can water chestnuts (optional)
- 2 green onions, chopped (I only use green part in this)
- 118.29 ml sliced mushrooms
- 1Spray pan with cooking spray and add chicken.
- 2Once chicken begins to cook & turn white, add curry paste and stir to thinly coat chicken.
- 3Cook chicken 4-5 minutes or until almost cooked through.
- 4As chicken cooks, in separate sauce pan, begin to heat chicken broth. Bring to simmer.
- 5Add lime juice, ginger, fish sauce.
- 6Stir and simmer 2 minutes.
- 7Add water chestnuts, mushrooms and coconut milk.
- 8Simmer another 2 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasonings if needed. May need more lime juice, depending on your taste. Some people also add 1/2-1 TBS sugar or splenda. It's up to you.
- 9Add cooked chicken and green onions, stir and simmer for 1 minute.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Coconut Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 97.4
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 34.2 mg
- Sodium 786.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
light coconut milk