Recipe by Annacia
Thai red curry paste adds a spicy punch.
Top Review by karenreyburn
This is brilliant! Takes a while to make but is worth it - just have the things cooking away while you do other things. I used green curry paste instead of red, and yoghurt in place of whipping cream to keep it a bit healthier. Still really nice, and after making it last night there's not much left!
- 4 lbs butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (or to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons sour cream, stirred to loosen
- chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Brush cut side of squash with oil; place squash, cut side down, on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly and scoop squash out into large bowl.
- Measure 3 cups squash (reserve any remaining squash for another use).
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and apple, saute 5 minutes.
- Add curry paste; stir 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, bay leaves, and 3 cups squash.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Return to same pot.
- Stir in cream and honey.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Rewarm over medium-high heat.
- Divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with sour cream; sprinkle with cilantro.