Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Thai red curry paste adds a spicy punch.
Make and share this Curried Butternut Squash Bisque recipe from Food.com.
- 4 lbs butternut squash, halved lengthwise, seeded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped peeled apple
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste (or to taste)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons sour cream, stirred to loosen
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Brush cut side of squash with oil; place squash, cut side down, on large rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, about 1 hour.
- Cool slightly and scoop squash out into large bowl.
- Measure 3 cups squash (reserve any remaining squash for another use).
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrots, and apple, saute 5 minutes.
- Add curry paste; stir 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, bay leaves, and 3 cups squash.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered 1 hour.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
- Return to same pot.
- Stir in cream and honey.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Rewarm over medium-high heat.
- Divide soup among bowls. Drizzle with sour cream; sprinkle with cilantro.
This is brilliant! Takes a while to make but is worth it - just have the things cooking away while you do other things. I used green curry paste instead of red, and yoghurt in place of whipping cream to keep it a bit healthier. Still really nice, and after making it last night there's not much left!
YUM! this was lovely and the smell in my kitchen was too ! I used home made chicken stock and half the sour cream because I only had a small amount left over from another recipe. I'm pleased to find another soup that incorporates red curry paste because I have only tried it recently and like it a lot. DH was harsher on this recipe becuase he compared it with Spicy Parsnip and Carrot Soup.. he said yours was sweeter and he liked that less.. but that didn't stop him from cleaning out the soup dish to the last spoon LOL ! Please see my rating system: a great recipe, tasty and easy to make, Thanks!