Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have two Irish sisters inlaw and both say this is one of their favorite desserts. Especially when its make with home made flakey pastry
- To make pastry:.
- Freeze butter or margarine for half an hour before grating.
- Sift flour and salt, then add butter or margarine.
- Mix into flour with palette knife.
- Add iced water until a dough is formed. Wrap and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Put all filling ingredients into a saucepan and bring to boiling point.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/ 400°F Roll out half the pastry very thinly and line a Swiss roll tin.
- Pour on currant filling, spreading evenly, then cover with the rest of the pastry.
- Glaze with egg or milk and bake for 30 minutes or until light gold in colour.
- Dust with caster sugar and cut into squares when cool.
- Makes 20 squares.
I made this after picking lots of blackcurrants and needing to find recipes for them. It was quite good, but I might reduce or leave out the lemon juice next time. It was VERY tart and acidic. Good overall, and I will try making it again!