I have two Irish sisters inlaw and both say this is one of their favorite desserts. Especially when its make with home made flakey pastry
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make pastry:.
- 2Freeze butter or margarine for half an hour before grating.
- 3Sift flour and salt, then add butter or margarine.
- 4Mix into flour with palette knife.
- 5Add iced water until a dough is formed. Wrap and chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- 6Put all filling ingredients into a saucepan and bring to boiling point.
- 7Set aside to cool.
- 8Preheat oven to 200°C/ 400°F Roll out half the pastry very thinly and line a Swiss roll tin.
- 9Pour on currant filling, spreading evenly, then cover with the rest of the pastry.
- 10Glaze with egg or milk and bake for 30 minutes or until light gold in colour.
- 11Dust with caster sugar and cut into squares when cool.
- 12Makes 20 squares.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Currant Squares
Serving Size: 1 (1034 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 181.0
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.6 g
- Cholesterol 27.5 mg
- Sodium 106.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 1.5 g