Recipe by Chrissyo
Good budget stretcher to fill hungry kids. Once the fruit has soaked for a couple of hours, it does not take long to assemble the ingredients for cooking. I have left the fruit to soak over night in the fridge and cooked the loaf the next day.
Top Review by Derf
Well I'm afraid I didn't have a lot of success with this Currant loaf. It turned out like a cement brick. I did add a little more of the tea to loosen it up some, the dough was soo dry, it wouldn't hold together. And there is no oven temperature indicated, so I baked it at 350f degrees, watched it closely and took it out at about 45 minutes. It is edible, the taste is reasonable, but very hard and dry. Good for dunkin' in coffee. ( I did get your answer, for the oven temp. but too late 325f degrees.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place in a bowl 1 cup of dried mixed fruit, sugar and 1 cup cold strained tea.
- Leave this mixture for 1 to 3 hours so that the fruit will become plump.
- Stirring the fruit occasionally to ensure all the fruit is coated with the tea and sugar mixture.
- Add the self raising flour slowly, but mix the flour in thoroughly. The cake mixture will look like gravel.
- Pour into a well greased loaf tin.
- Cook in a moderate oven for approximately 45 to 60 minutes.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool.