Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
The steam and aroma coming out of this pot is sure to cure your cold, or at least help you feel better! This soup is wonderful whenever you are feeling blue....something about homemade chicken soup just helps everyone feel better. Not to mention the wonderful aroma in the house from cooking it!
- 14.79 ml butter or 14.79 ml margarine
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g boneless skinned chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 946.0 ml basic chicken stock, I like Basic Chicken Stock
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml long-grain rice
- 29.58 ml parsley, minced
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- In a 5 or 6 quart stock pot over moderate heat, melt the butter in the oil. Add the chicken and brown it lightly, stirring occasionally -- about 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, carrots, celery, onion, rice, parsley, salt and pepper. Cover, bring to a simmer over low heat, then cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
This soup is so comforting. I used low-sodium, low-fat chicken stock. I used butter. I used dried parsley. So easy to do in less than an hour, that's great :) DH really loved it. Me too of course. Thanks Breezermom :) Made for Market tag game
I made this soup today for my partner, who has a cold. I had to use dried celery and parsley and cube stock but the soup still came out very nice. It is quick to make, which is a big advantage if you are sick and don't feel like cooking for long for example. We both enjoyed half of it with noodles and are going to have the other half with rice tomorrow. Next time I will follow the recipe fully just to see how different (and probably better) it would be.
Made as posted with Mock Chicken Stock Mock Chicken Stock from my freezer and very low in fat and sodium. I came home from shopping today chilled to the bone. This goes together quickly and in less than an hour I was eating and enjoying this! Thanks for posting breezer. Made for Newest Zaar Tag (Winter).