Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very different way to fix cucumbers. A great go-a-long with summer meals.
- 2 large firm cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar or 2⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- Note: Do not used waxed cucumbers.
- Wash cucumbers, dry off and remove the ends.
- Score the skins with the tines if a fork, dragging it the length of the cuke; repeat all the way around.
- Slice cucumbers very, very thin.
- Place in a bowl; sprinkle with salt and sugar.
- Add vinegar and press slightly with back of a spoon.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Keeps well in a covered jar.
- The end result is similar to an uncooked pickle.
Barb, and excellent summer salad. Very close to another cucumber salad I make. The sugar gave it a new dimension to the one I make with just plain vinegar and water. This was easy to make ahead and keep in the refrigerator overnight. Save the vinegar and keep those cucumbers in there all summer long. Thanks for posting this keeper.
this is an old favorite that my mom always made and i have been looking for for years! thanks barb it's THE one! we add thin sliced red onions and garden tomatoes from time to time. try this you won't be disapointed!
My Mom made this also. I think it's one of the reasons I like cucumbers so much. It's refreshing and because of the sugar is not sour. Really perks up your mouth with a nice tang.