Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Cube steak is marinated in a garlicky citrus-lime sauce for a short time, then quickly braised. Serve with boiled potato and choice of vegetable, if desired.
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (from 4 limes)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks or 4 cube steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 sweet white onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
- Smash and peel garlic and place in a mortar; sprinkle with salt and let sit for 5 minutes to soften the garlic.
- Use the pestle to form the garlic and salt to a paste; in a small bowl, combine the garlic paste, oregano, cumin, pepper, lime juice and orange juice.
- Place the steaks in a single layer in a baking dish; pour the marinade over and let sit about 20 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over high heat, add oil, and cook the onions and peppers, while stirring, until softened, anout 2 minutes; remove to a bowl.
- Place steaks into the skillet and cook for 2 minutes, then flip and cook another 2 minutes.
- You will probably have to do this in two batches.
- Return the onions and peppers, along with the steaks, to the skillet, cover, and cook another minute.
- Place steaks on a serving plate covered with the onions and peppers.
- If desired, you can cook the marinade for a couple of minutes and spoon that over the steaks.
I made this tonight for my meat-loving husband, who said it was quite delicious! It rates highly with me for being so easy to put together; I love that you can get fun, tropical flavor with everyday ingredients. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 9, Gourmet Goddesses.
Made for the Goddesses of ZWT-9, as written & using cube steaks. The meat was very flavorful & nearly fork-tender. The marinating process was fun to watch & I don't ever recall saying that. The combo of citrus fruits & spicing apparently begins the cooking in the same manner as a ceviche. This is a colorful, tasty & healthy dish that I served w/rice I stirred into the pan drippings w/the marinade. It gave the rice a lovely flavor & light caramel color. We liked this a lot. Thx for sharing the recipe w/us.
Delicious and easy (and colorful too)! What more could you ask for? I made this exactly as posted, though I have to say that my garlic did not smash up quite how I would have liked it to, so it really didn't form a proper paste. However, the flavor was wonderful. I used cube steaks, which is something I have not enjoyed in a long time. Thanks for sharing. Made by a Tasty Tester for ZWT9.