Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My whole family loves this meal. Mix the leftovers together and use as a filling for fried burritos. Just place a scoop of warmed, mixed beans and rice in the middle of a large tortilla, sprinkle a handle of Daiya Cheddar Shreds (vegan) on the "flap" of the burrito. Roll it up so that the part with the cheese is the last section to be rolled. Then put that side down on a grill-pan covered in vegetable oil, so the heat seals the seam shut by heating the cheese. Turn burrito over so that all sides get crisp and brown.
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 extra large green pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Earth Balance natural buttery spread
- 2 limes, squeezed of juice (reserve)
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan. Fry the onion and pepper in the oil until nearly tender. Add the garlic and saute for minute, being careful not to burn.
- Add a little of the bean liquid until all previous ingredients are soft. Add the beans with the remaining liquid. Add spices and simmer about 30 minutes. Stir in the vinegar just before serving.
- In the meantime, place rice, water, salt, and "butter" in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
- Add lime juice and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve with beans over the top.