Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Quick and easy. From Real Simple magazine, March 2009.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 4 radishes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin and cook 1 minute.
- Add beans, oregano, and 1 cup of water. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and smash some of the beans with the back of a fork to thicken.
- Serve the beans over rice and top with the radishes and cilantro.