1/44 Photos of Crusty French Bread
This recipe produces two crusty and chewy loaves that are so very good and so much better than store bought.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water (110 degrees) and sugar in large bowl; allow yeast to proof or foam (about 10 minutes).
- 2Add salt, oil, and 3 cups flour; beat for 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in 2 cups flour to make a stiff dough.
- 4Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 5Place in oiled bowl, turn dough to coat all sides, cover and let rise until doubled.
- 6Punch down and divide in half.
- 7Shape dough into two long slender loaves.
- 8Grease and sprinkle with cornmeal either a french bread pan or large cookie sheet.
- 9Place loaves in pan and cut diagonal gashes on top of each loaf (I use scissors).
- 10Cover and let rise until doubled.
- 11Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- 12Note: You can sprinkle or spray water on the loaves during baking if you want a really crunchy crust.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crusty French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1241.4
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2341.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 247.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 34.7 g