Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe in the Australian Women's Weekly Chicken Cookbook. Really tasty and easy - my family loved it, so I decided it was a keeper.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 ounce butter
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 16 ounces cream of chicken soup (condensed)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups chicken, cooked & diced
- 1⁄4 cup tasty cheese, grated, for final topping
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 green pepper, small, chopped
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Combine onion, shallots, celery and water in pan, bring to boil and simmer until onion is softened.
- Saute bacon and mushrooms in butter for 3 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture, bacon mixture, undiluted soup, sour cream and chicken and pour into greased ovenproof dish (8 cup capacity).
- CHEESE BATTER:.
- Sift flour into bowl, add peppers, eggs, cheese & milk, stir until combined.
- Spread cheese batter over chicken mixture.
- Bake at 350F for 40 minutes until lightly browned and firm.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and return to bake for additional 5 minutes until melted.
- Casserole, without batter, may be prepared up to 2 days ahead and kept covered in refrigerator.
- Not suitable for freezing or microwave.
Very much enjoyed. I had no celery, so subbed two medium carrots, thinly sliced, and I had to use cream of mushroom soup since I didn't realise I had no chicken soup, sorry about that. And I only had green peppers for the batter! I did add 1 tsp dried thyme, and 1 tsp dried marjoram, to the chicken mixture. Otherwise, this cooked perfectly and was very much enjoyed by the family on a cool rainy night! Served with mixed peas'n'corn, thanks for a lovely recipe, Shazzie!
Made this recipe to share with neighbors but I did cut the bacon back to 2 slices & omitted the mushrooms! Another time I might include sliced fresh mushrooms sprinkled on top under the final layer of cheese so that the 'rooms only cook about 5 minutes! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
Very much enjoyed. The only change I made was I added an extra cup of chicken (2 hungry guys in the house) and I only had red peppers for the batter. :)