Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
You could make this for dinner with your favorite greens, then have some for lunch the next day with a salad! A wonderful French creation adapted from Vegetarian Times magazine.
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 small leeks, white and green parts halved and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups greens (Swiss chard, kale, collard greens, mustard greens, or your choice)
- 4 egg whites
- 3 whole eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup soymilk (or use regular milk or rice milk)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 425*F.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 9" glass pie dish with olive oil and cooking spray. Scatter the breadcrumbs over the bottom of the dish.
- Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil in a large pot. Add the leeks; boil 3 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and add the greens. Let stand 30-40 seconds, or until greens are wilted. Drain, rinse with cold water and drain again, squeezing out the excess water with your hands. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until frothy. Whisk in eggs, then milk and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper., if using. Whisk in tarragon and basil.
- Sprinkle the leeks and greens over the breadcrumbs in the prepared pie dish.
- Dot cheese on top. Pour egg mixture into pie pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, until golden brown on top. Cool 5 minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
A delicious low carb quiche that is packed full of flavor. I used 4 cups of lightly packed kale which I chopped prior to wilting. The timing was perfect. This was served with your Tomato Feta Salad.