Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
A family favorite. Great for get-togethers. No idea where I got the recipe from, but I've been using it for 10 years! Works well frozen too.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour (whole wheat flour works here)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 4 cups grated cheese (cheddar, colby jack, mozzarella, etc ... a combination works best)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups crushed croutons
- 3⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Boil pasta. While pasta is boiling, make the sauce. Once pasta is done, drain & set aside.
- To make the sauce, in a saucepan, saute the garlic in buttter for 1 minute.
- Add flour & stir until light brown.
- Stirring, add milk, tabasco & cream (or evap milk).
- Heat through & add cheese, salt, pepper & mustard. Stir until all cheese is melted.
- Mix with the macaroni & pour into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Mix the crust ingredients & spread over the pasta.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Very good, possibly use less butter, or soy milk, or rice milk in the macaroni portion., Substitute the Parmesan cheese for the crust with whatever cheese you want, if you don't have any. Add bacon to the recipe, or anything you can think of, use potatoes if you don't have macaroni.
omg this is the best mac and cheese recipe ever!!! im new to cooking and i accomplishedd this for christmas and it will continue to be a family favorite.