Prep 5 hrs
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
From Southern Living
- 12 ounces cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Oreos, broken into pieces
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup coarsely crushed peppermint candy
- Place cookies in a heavy zip-lock plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Pour into a buttered 9-inch round springform pan and pour melted butter over crumbs; mix to coat, then press evenly over bottom and about 1/2 inch up sides of pan. Bake in a 300° oven until crust is slightly darker and looks a bit dry, about 10 minutes (leave oven on).
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese and sugar until well blended. Beat in sour cream. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend after each addition. Beat in flour, vanilla, peppermint extract, and salt until smooth. Pour cream cheese mixture into pan over baked crust.
- Bake until edges are just golden and center jiggles slightly when pan is gently shaken, about 1 hour. Run a knife around edge of pan rim. Place pan on a wire rack and cool cheesecake completely in pan. Cover and chill until cold, at least 4 hours or up to 2 days. Run a knife around rim again, then release rim. If any liquid has pooled on surface of cheesecake, blot dry gently with a paper towel.
- Decorate top of cake with crushed peppermint candy, pressing it in gently with your hands.