Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Giving this a thumbs up! Recipe courtesy Jeff Mauro, Show: Sandwich King, Episode: Burgers Are Boss
- peanut oil, for frying, enough to fill your skillet 1 to 11/2 inches deep
- 4 round pineapple slices, each justover a 1/4-inch thick (either fresh or canned)
- butter, for grilling
- 4 onion rolls, split, buttered and toasted on the griddle
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, gently cleaned, gills removed (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup japanese mayonnaise (or regular with a dash of seasoned rice vinegar)
- 4 teaspoons teriyaki sauce
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 -8 leaves red leaf lettuce
- Heat the peanut oil to 350 degrees F in a large cast-iron skillet.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the pineapple slices to get nice grill marks, about 2 minutes per side. Butter and grill the buns as well.
- Set up a breading station of flour, eggs and panko seasoned with salt and pepper, in 3 separate shallow dishes. Dredge each mushroom cap in the flour first, then the egg and finally the panko. Fry the breaded mushrooms until golden brown and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a baking sheet lined with a cooling rack or paper towels.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise and teriyaki sauce in a small bowl.
- For the sandwich build: Spread some teriyaki mayo on the bottom and top halves of the buns. Top the bottom bun with a pineapple slice, a fried portobello mushroom cap, some onion slices and red lettuce leaf. Oh man!