1/1 Photo of Crunchy Pear and Celery Salad
From Eating Well magazine, one of my favorite salads. The flavors blend so well and compliment and the textures are marvelous. If you have the white cheddar with a red pear, the colors are nice. When I get a green pear I just use yellow cheddar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 stalks celery, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or 2 tablespoons pear vinegar or 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar or 2 tablespoons other fruit vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (original recipe called for honey)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe pears, diced (preferably red Barltett or anjou for their crispness)
- 1 cup finely diced white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted (see NOTE)
- fresh ground pepper
- 6 leaves butterhead lettuce (I usually use romaine) or 6 leaves other lettuce (I usually use romaine)
- 1Soak celery in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 2Whisk together in a large bowl the vinegar, maple syrup and salt. Add pears and stir gently to coat. Add celery, cheese and pecans, stirring to combine. Season with pepper.
- 3Place the 6 lettuce leaves on plates and divide the salad, placing a portion on top of the lettuce on each plate.
- 4Serve either chilled or at room temperature.
- 5NOTE: To toast the nuts, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until fragrant and slightly browned (about 2 to 4 minutes).
- 6VARIATION: Instead of cheddar and pecans, try a good Parmesan and toasted walnuts.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crunchy Pear and Celery Salad
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.4
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 257.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 6.9 g