Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Played with this a bit, a gradual evolution. Once upon a time, broccoli was on special.
- 400 g penne pasta
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 250 g broccoli, stalk and stem chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 200 g creme fraiche
- 100 g mature cheese, grated (try gruyere or cheddar)
- 1⁄4 cup torn fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs
- In a big pot boil the pasta, onion and broccoli stalk for 7 minutes. Add the florets and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Remove 400ml of the cooking water and drain the rest away.
- Return the reserved water to the pan and dissolve the stock cube in it. Whisk in the mustard and creme freche. Bring to the boil and add the pasta and veg mix with half the cheese. Mix well.
- Turn into an ovenproof dish, top with the remaining cheese and then the breadcrumbs and place under a hot grill until brown and bubbly.