Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs 20 mins
this is a high fiber, whole grain bread with a heavy crunchy texture, that I developed for myself. I use my bread machine to make it easy.
- 1 3⁄4 cups very warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal (not instant)
- 1⁄3 cup oat bran
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons cracked wheat
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons wheat gluten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- add all ingredients in order, except sunflower seeds, to bread machine pan.
- after 1st. knead, turn machine off, then restart, or use your 2nd knead option if you have one.
- add sunflower seeds at beep.
- I use a normal cycle, with a medium color, but a dark color would do well also.
- if dough seems too stiff during kneading process, add water, a tablespoon at a time, until consistancy is right.
- I cut laf in half lengthwise first before slicing. This bread is very heavy and filling.